Why should I join?
Membership means joining a long, proud tradition of serving democracy
The League is proud of its long history of working to sustain and further the basic principles of democracy for all by encouraging and enlisting others in that effort. At a time when all too many citizens withdraw from the political process, it is more important than ever that those who care about government accept their civic responsibility to participate fully in the democratic process. What better way to do that than by joining THE LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS, the organization that since 1920 has continued to work proudly to preserve the traditions of democracy?
Membership means opportunity to...
- Do more than vote to Make Democracy Work
- Make a difference in the affairs of your community, state, and nation
- Use your personal skills and talents in important community service
- Experience personal growth and enrichment
- Enjoy associating with other thinking, caring people
Membership brings the satisfaction of...
- Knowing that you will be informed about issues that concern you
- Knowing that your views on issues can be expressed and heard
- Knowing that your organization can take effective action on issues
- Sharpening your skills of leadership, networking, and public speaking
- Using your volunteer time to the betterment of your community
- A voice in the direction of the League - our members contribute directly to our positions by participation in consensus
- Discounts on various LWV events, and exclusive invites to member-only workshops
- Opportunities to participate in LWV leadership and advocacy activities
- Receive updates from LWVMD, LWVUS, your local League and coalition partners.
- Subscription to publications like The Maryland Voter, Report from State Circle, and the State Board Letter from LWVMD
- Members of Local Leagues receive monthly local newsletters
Who can join LWV?
Local League Voting Membership Available to any person who is at least 16 years of age and who joins a local league. All members of local leagues are also automatically members of the LWV of Maryland and the LWV of the United States.
Local League Non-Voting Associate Membership Available to persons who are younger than 16 and who join a local league.
Thank you for your interest in joining the League of Women Voters!
Local Leagues each set their own dues; they range from $50 to $65.
We encourage everyone to join as a member and contribute time, talents, and enthusiasm. There are also many other ways you can support the work of the League of Women Voters.
Residents of Allegany, Carroll, Charles, Cecil, Garrett, Somerset, Worcester, or Wicomico Counties become Members-at-Large of the LWV of Maryland, unless they choose to join a nearby League. They are encouraged to participate in all state and national events and in events of other local Leagues until a LWV is started in their home county. Please find your county in the list below and then use its membership form.
Pick your county to join today:
- Member-at-Large of LWVMD Available for those who reside in an area not currently serviced by a local league; these individuals are serviced by and participate in activities of the Maryland State league. They are also members of the LWV of the United States, and they may also participate in activities of Local Leagues.