Together, we will show the Maryland General Assembly that ALL Marylander's want their voting maps drawn with the fairest rules possible, and by a group independent of the influence of party politics.
Your donation - whether it's $5 or $500 - supports our grassroots efforts to tell the Maryland Government that we want fair districts, and we want them NOW.
Your donations will help support a strong push for Real Redistricting Reform
Maryland’s 6th Congressional District is prime example of the partisan gerrymandering that occurred in Maryland after the 2010 census, the Emergency Commission tasked with redrawing it hopes its work will help Maryland find its way to enacting a more transparent, independent and multi-partisan redistricting process.
District 6 (Phil Ateto) Speaking at Benisk rally at SCOTUS in March 2018
Posted by· February 06, 2019 11:45 AM
Posted by· January 30, 2019 10:22 AM
On 1/24/19 this information was delivered to members of the Maryland General Assembly to help keep them informed on the strides being made across the country in redistricting reform, and ask them to act now! Feel free to share this information with your legislator, friends, neighbors, and anyone you can educate about the need for Fair Maps in Maryland!
The clock is ticking. Following the 2020 census the Maryland General Assembly must approve new legislative and Congressional election districts.
Will they be drawn in a fair and transparent manner or will Maryland continue to be one of the most gerrymandered states in the nation?Let's work together to find a better way to do redistricting.
Press Release - November 13, 2018
The League of Women Voters of Maryland and member Leagues across the state are celebrating the U.S. District Court’s November 7th decision to require our state to redraw the boundaries of the 6th Congressional District. The Court’s decision follows one day after voters in Michigan, Colorado and Missouri voted to get rid of Gerrymandered boundaries by margins of 61%, 71% and 62% respectively.Read more
There is a real urgency in Maryland to pass meaningful reform for our redistricting process during the 2020 session.
Since REAL REFORM can only be achieved through a constitutional amendment we have to get redistricting reform on the ballot in 2020, before the next redistricting process starts in 2021.
A constitutional amendment MUST be voted on by the PEOPLE, meaning that the Maryland General Assembly has to pass legislation THIS session to get reform in motion that will make a difference when the next census triggers the redistricting process.
Sign the pledge and tell the world you support redistricting reform in Maryland - before it's too late!
I support redistricting reform that includes:
1) A state redistricting process and standards that promote fair and effective representation in the state legislature and House of Representatives with maximum opportunity for public scrutiny
2) An independent citizens redistricting reform commission to carry out the redistricting process
3) Districting standards that require districts to be substantially equal population, geographic contiguity and geographic compactness
People Powered Campaign for #FairMaps
What if you were told your vote wouldn't count for a full decade?
Would you be content to let others choose your elected representatives, heedless of your personal views?
What if those deciding weren't your neighbors but party politicians at the state level?
That's gerrymandering in a nutshell.
"Gerrymander" - the process of manipulating the drawing of election maps for political gain during the decennial redistricting process.
Want to find out what your gerrymander looks like? Click below to explore!
(Federal Level Representatives)
(State Level Representatives)
The League of Women Voters of Maryland supports:
- A state redistricting process and standards that promote fair and effective representation in the state legislature and House of Representatives with maximum opportunity for public scrutiny.
- An independent commission as the preferred redistricting body. The membership of the redistricting commission should be multi-partisan, include unaffiliated voters, be geographically representative and not include any current state elected official.
- Standards on which the redistricting plan is based should include: substantially equal population, geographic contiguity and geographic compactness.
- Final approval by the General Assembly for the legislative and Congressional redistricting plans. An amendment to the Maryland Constitution affirming that the redistricting process for the House of Representatives should occur only once each ten years after the census.
- An amendment to the Maryland Constitution affirming that the redistricting process for the House of Representatives should occur only once every ten years after the census.
If you too support this position - Click the Clock Below to sign our support pledge Today
Ready to Learn More?
Click below for for access to the Redistricting Empowerment Toolkit
The information inside this toolkit will prepare you to slay your gerrymander & even help you teach others how to slay theirs! Check it out!
Ready for ACTION?
Learn more about our advocacy efforts & what YOU can do to help by Clicking Below!
Every $1 gets us closer to reform!
LWVMD has been working on the issue of Redistricting Reform for Many Years in Coalition with other groups in Maryland dedicated to a Fair Redistricting Process - This Coalition is known as Tame the Gerrymander - Just Click Below to Learn More about What Our Coalition's been Up To since the Maps were gerrymandered in 2011.
We need your valuable input to tell legislators this session what Marylanders really want to see change in redistricting in 2018.
There's no time for delay - What Would You Do?
Take Our 3 Question Survey by Clicking the Image Below to Tell Us
Wasn't that Easy?
Please Share this With your Family, Friends, Neighbors, and ANYONE else who you know wants to Make Their Voice Heard!
Want to show Everyone You Support Redistricting Reform in Maryland?
Get a Tame the Gerrymander T-Shirt for $27.40
Elbridge Gerry would 274 in 2018 - isn't it about time we Tame the Gerrymander?
(price includes shipping)
Click the image above to complete order form with size and shipping information
Make your payment BELOW