MD Legislature: Overview
- 90 day legislative session. Always starts the second Wednesday in January.
- Flow much like college semester. Slow month, busier month, then great scrambling at the end.
- January — bill drafting, bill introduction, briefings
- February — committee hearings, start to vote
- March — last committee hearings, voting, hearing bills from the other chamber
- April — final push to pass bills and Sine Die
- 47 Senators, 141 Delegates. 1-3 staff per legislator.
- Leadership: Speaker and Senate President; minority leader;
- Committees: four standing committees in Senate, six in House. Also rules committee, joint committees, and task forces
- Caucus groups: Party caucuses, Women's Caucus, Black Caucus
- County delegations
- Task forces
- Who's who?
How bill becomes a law