Make Every Vote Count - #FairMaps
What if you were told your vote wouldn't count for a full decade?
Would you be content to let others choose your elected representatives, heedless of your personal views?
What if those deciding weren't your neighbors but party politicians at the state level?
That's gerrymandering in a nutshell.
"Gerrymander" - the process of manipulating the drawing of election maps for political gain during the decennial redistricting process.
Want to find out what your gerrymander looks like? Click below to explore!
(Federal Level Representatives)
(State Level Representatives)
The League of Women Voters of Maryland supports:
- A state redistricting process and standards that promote fair and effective representation in the state legislature and House of Representatives with maximum opportunity for public scrutiny.
- An independent commission as the preferred redistricting body. The membership of the redistricting commission should be multi-partisan, include unaffiliated voters, be geographically representative and not include any current state elected official.
- Standards on which the redistricting plan is based should include: substantially equal population, geographic contiguity and geographic compactness.
- Final approval by the General Assembly for the legislative and Congressional redistricting plans. An amendment to the Maryland Constitution affirming that the redistricting process for the House of Representatives should occur only once each ten years after the census.
- An amendment to the Maryland Constitution affirming that the redistricting process for the House of Representatives should occur only once every ten years after the census.
If you too support this position - Click the Clock Below to sign our support pledge Today
Ready to Learn More?
Click below for for access to the Redistricting Empowerment Toolkit
The information inside this toolkit will prepare you to slay your gerrymander & even help you teach others how to slay theirs! Check it out!
Ready for ACTION?
Learn more about our advocacy efforts & what YOU can do to help by Clicking Below!
Every $1 gets us closer to reform!
LWVMD has been working on the issue of Redistricting Reform for Many Years in Coalition with other groups in Maryland dedicated to a Fair Redistricting Process - This Coalition is known as Tame the Gerrymander - Just Click Below to Learn More about What Our Coalition's been Up To since the Maps were gerrymandered in 2011.