- Introduce yourself.
- Name, organization you are representing (if applicable), issue you are working
- Ask how they are!
- Do your homework. Ask about family, other job, etc.
- Actually be interested in their response.
- Get to the issue
- Quickly summarize what you want to talk about
- Lay out a few reasons why you care/it matters
- Make the ask — be as specific as possible.
Follow up with a different ask if needed.
- Simple test: they should talk more than you do.
- Look out for hedge words; honestly assess support
- Take notes after: any names they dropped or hints from the meeting
- Always note information you said you would get back to them on (and do get them the information!)
- Grade their support 1 (champion), 2 (yes vote), 3 (swing vote), 4 (no vote) 5 (will work to kill your bill).
- Always err on the side of caution — unless you hear "yes!" they are a 3 or 4.
Do you like this page?