The League of Women Voters Maryland is looking for an intern that is excited about empowering voters and learning about issue based advocacy.
The LWVMD Legislative Intern will work closely with the Administrative Director in a variety of aspects of the organization. A large portion of the internship will be focused on nonpartisan voter services related to the November 6th midterm election, but will also include nonprofit management, and legislative advocacy work of the League.
POTENTIAL INTERNSHIP ACTIVITIES INCLUDE
- Learning about & contributing to social media promotion of LWVMD’s most valuable voter resource, the nonpartisan Voter’s Guide & Vote411.org & Spreading the word about candidate forums
- Assisting with collection & coordination of information to produce the LWVMD Voter’s Guide & Vote411.org
- Updating online resources for Voter’s on the LWVMD website and on social media
- Participate in LWVMD’s efforts to raise awareness of and advocate for an end to gerrymandering in Maryland
- Coordination with League members on various issue-based advocacy activities that include participation on coalition led campaigns, member outreach, and events
- Participate in preparation for the legislative session which may include attending advocacy forums and legislative tracking meetings.
- Learning about and assisting with developing engaging online messaging/campaigns via blog, Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram posts
- Learning about and assisting with grassroots volunteer coordination, communication, and engagement
- Participating in fundraising activities, both online and at in-person events
- Assisting with event & workshop planning and coordination
- Assists with outreach and coordination regarding member recruitment and retention
- Coordination with local chapters of LWVMD as appropriate
QUALIFICATIONS: As a volunteer-run grassroots organization, it is important the intern is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where priorities shift quickly. The successful candidate will possess strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize shifting duties efficiently. During the hustle of the election season, the intern must have the ability to be flexible and balance multiple projects. Experience with Google Docs, Microsoft Office Suite, and basic office equipment is a must. Interest in promoting and increasing activism through social media is a plus.
Exact scheduling of internship hours is flexible. The position is in our Annapolis office, but some opportunity to work remotely may be available. LWVMD is happy to discuss any special project proposals the intern would like to accomplish during their internship period, and provide guidance as needed.
A stipend of $500 is available to offset costs related to travel and parking. LWVMD is willing to accommodate students who wish to earn college credit. Target start date is September 4th, 2018.
Please submit thoughtful cover letter and resume to email@example.com by August 7th, 2018 for consideration.