The League of Women Voters of MD is joined by Common Cause MD, and Gerrymandered.org in this coalition dedicated to establishing a fair and open process for drawing election districts in Maryland
The League of Women Voters of Maryland supports:
1. A state redistricting process and standards that promote fair and effective representation in the state legislature and House of Representatives with maximum opportunity for public scrutiny.
2. An independent commission as the preferred redistricting body. The membership of the redistricting commission should be multi-partisan, include unaffiliated voters, be geographically representative and not include any current state elected official.
3. Standards on which the redistricting plan is based should include: substantially equal population, geographic contiguity and geographic compactness.
4. Final approval by the General Assembly for the legislative and Congressional redistricting plans. An amendment to the Maryland Constitution affirming that the redistricting process for the House of Representatives should occur only once each ten years after the census.
5. An amendment to the Maryland Constitution affirming that the redistricting process for the House of Representatives should occur only once every ten years after the census.