SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT: Action to promote informed decisions affecting solid waste management. (1995)
- Ample opportunity and funding for active public participation including timely scheduling and notification of public meetings.
- Provisions by local, state and federal governments of the following types of information on the impact of solid waste actions:
- a. environment;
- b. economics;
- c. public health;
- d. socio-economic demographics.
- Technological information collected, shared and provided by the state.
- State regulations in place regarding control, funding and public health for the management of solid waste.
- The following incentives that encourage the reduction, reuse, and recycling of materials and the opening of new markets and that discourage the use of some materials:
- a. legislative mandates;
- b. tax incentives;
- c. voluntary guidelines;
- d. pricing support;
- e. variable rates for waste pick-up;
- f. procurement regulations
- Inter- and intra-state solutions to solid waste management.